Bananas are the only fruit my son will eat. True story. I’ve tried everything and it’s just a no go. So we go through bananas like they are nobody’s business. In fact yesterday Josh had 3 for a snack! I always get excited to make things like banana bread or banana cake but we never seem to have any left over bananas! So imagine my excitement when I saw bananas that were in the mark down bin for 19¢ a pound that were just begging to be baked!
Thus the chocolate banana bread was born. And let me tell you …. it’s amazing!! Like I may start to hide the bananas from my son just so they can get all brown and right for baking. :)
Now this banana and chocolate bread was amazing. I told you that. But I just want you to know that this bread – warmed up – with Nutella spread on it. No joke, this is so good. Just be prepared! This will become your favorite banana bread recipe ever! :)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup room temperature butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 3 large bananas)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Greek Yogurt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease your bread pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl according to the package's directions. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Add the eggs, mashed bananas & Greek Yogurt and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Take 1 cup of the batter out and mix it with the melted chocolate. (It smells good already doesn't it?)
- Pour the remaining batter into your bread pan.
- Pour the chocolate mix on top of the banana batter and use a knife or fork to make a few swirls. (Don't go too crazy or else it will be all mixed in together!)
- Bake the banana bread for 1 hour 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan before removing and then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with a spoonful of Nutella. Just kidding - that part is optional. Just kidding. Do it! :)