The Chinese New Year will be here before you know it! Are you ready?
Now I will be honest, growing up we would spend the Chinese New Year doing what we do best, eating. (Have you seen our list of Chinese takeout favorites that you can make at home? YUM! Find them here!) But I really didn’t know much about this holiday or the traditions that go along with it.
I was really excited to hear about this book PoPo’s Lucky Chinese New Year! This book is a really sweet story about PoPo helping her young granddaughter. The story showcases the family getting ready and celebrating the New Year.
One thing that I really loved about the book was that each page had a Chinese New Year fact or tradition on it. We (Josh and I both!) learned a lot while reading this book!
Did you know:
- People spend 15 days preparing and then 15 days celebrating Chinese New Year.
- You should open the windows and doors at midnight to allow the old year to leave.
- Wear red. It scares away bad spirits and monsters.
There are so many interesting and fun facts in this book! It’s one that we really have loved a lot!
To celebrate the year of the rooster, we made these fun fork paintings.
Aren’t they fun? We used darker colors – next time we might try them with some lighter shades. (You can find out how to make them here!)
Here are some more ideas to celebrate Chinese New Year With Kids:
- Snack on oranges. They are gifts of happiness and wealth.
- Play Pong Hau k’i
- Make Chinese Lanterns
- Chinese New Year wouldn’t be complete without a dragon!
- We love this fire breathing one too!
- Aren’t these fans the cutest?
- I love these DIY Tissue Paper Blossoms!
- Don’t forget this rooster coloring page.
- This paint dragon is one of my favorites!
- Here is another coloring page to keep you busy!
Don’t forget to pin!
This post contains affiliate links. I received a copy of PoPo’s Lucky Chinese New Year in exchange for sharing my honest ideas and thoughts on the books.