That perfect balance of sweet and salty is one of my favorite flavor combinations. When I take Joshua to the movies and they ask you if you want popcorn or candy, we choose both. Because nothing is better than dumping your chocolate candy into your movie theater popcorn. (Reese’s Pieces + popcorn = amazing….trust me!)
So why shouldn’t that blend of awesome goodness get their own cupcake? There is no reason why! So I’m excited to give you the recipe for these amazing chocolate covered pretzel cupcakes. And yes, they taste as good as they look!
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Eggs room temp
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- ½ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup HOT water
- Pretzel Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of pretzels
- 12 chocolate dipped pretzels
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- Caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill muffin tins with cupcake liners
- In a bowl, whisk sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in eggs, milk, and vegetable oil. Mix well
- Slowly add in boiling water, stirring until combined.
- Fill baking cups ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Using a toothpick, insert in center. When it comes out clean they are done.
- Transfer to awire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- In a bowl, mix together butter and powdered sugar.
- Add in vanilla extract. Continue to mix until well incorporated.
- Fill a pastry bag and frost cooled cupcakes.
- Top with chopped pretzels.
- Now add a chocolate covered pretzel to the top, sprinkle some sea salt and drizzle with caramel sauce.
Don’t forget to pin!
This post contains affiliate links.