Usually when I make cupcakes or eat cupcakes for that matter they are vanilla. Every so often I’ll be in the mood for some chocolate. And on the rare occassion, I will see a fantastic looking Red Velevet cupcake.
They are like the Kate Middleton of cupcakes, reserved for occasions and events, like weddings or Valentine’s Day.
But now, this Red Velvet Cupcake recipe makes it so easy to make them, it may seem like you are living the royal life in Buckingham Palace!
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, soft, plus 4 tbsp.
- ¼ cup softened shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 TBSP Red Velvet extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. Red gel food color
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tins withpaper liners.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt all together.
- Mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk for 3 minutes
- In a separate bowl using anelectric mixer, beat the butter, shortening and sugar until it is light and creamy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, red velvet extract, and red gel food coloring.
- Mix well.
- Add flour mix and buttermilk, ½ portion of each at a time, mix until completely combined.
- Spoon the batter into the lined cupcake tins until ⅔'s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes
- Remove from cupcake tins to a wire rack until totally cooled
Red Velvet cupcakes wouldn’t be Red Velvet cupcakes without cream cheese frosting. Cool, creamy and sweet this frosting is super delicious!
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C powdered sugar
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until creamy.
- Mix on low.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until blended.
- Add vanilla and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a frosting tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to force the frosting to the tip.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.
Love cupcakes? Check out some of our favorites!
Don’t forget to pin!
This post contains affiliate links.