I’m just going to put it out there. I’m no good at diets. I can eat my veggies (I love veggies.) I can eat my fruit (I love fruit.) I can give up red meat.
But if you put some pasta, some comfort food, something sweet or well, let’s be honest, anything else in front of me and I’m going to want some of that too!
I just love food. So the only solution that I’ve been able to think of is to make my favorite foods myself. That way I can control what goes in and I can make healthier swaps. That way I can eat what I want and feel good about it!
These Mozzarella Sticks are a perfect example! These are baked and not fried making them healthier than your traditional appetizers you may get. Not to mention – they are super easy. Make a large batch and put them in your freezer. Then you are able to grab as many as you need, when you need them.
- 12 sticks of string cheese in your choice of cheese – I used mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 5 tbsp of bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese
- A tad of olive oil, or cooking spray
- Cut the cheese sticks in half, making 24 slices, then freeze the slices in the freezer until completely frozen.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. Use a separate bowl to combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- To bread the cheese sticks: First dip the frozen cheese stick into the flour, then into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture.
- Once all of the cheese sticks are coated, place them on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil coated with a few drops of olive oil or sprayed with cooking spray (this helps keep them from sticking)
- Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for about 4 minutes, or until crisp. Watch them closely so they don’t melt completely!
Don’t forget to pin!