With the new Marvel Avengers: Age of Ultron movie that just came out, everything in my house is all about Captain America, Iron Man, and Joshua’s personal favorite, The Hulk!
To celebrate this awesome movie we just had to create some Hulk cupcakes! (HULK SMASH!) These are the perfect treat to serve at your child’s next birthday party. And trust me, while they look amazing, you can totally do this! Everyone will be super impressed and get a kick out of the totally cool cupcakes.
- White or vanilla cake mix
- White frosting (or cream cheese!)
- Purple baking cups
- Violet Icing coloring (the gel works best)
- Electric Green Fondant
- Cake decorating bag and tip
Now, if you have never used fondant before don’t be intimidated! Think of it as clay or play-doh. And we are going to break up the Hulk’s fist in really easy basic shapes that I promise, you can do! (Remember rolling snakes in elementary school with the clay? Yes? Well, then I think you are going to be a fondant pro!)
1. Preheat your oven and prepare your cake mix according to the directions on the box. Once the cake batter is prepared add a few globs of the icing color and mix well.
3. In a bowl, combine your frosting and add icing color to achieve the perfect purple color. (I added the same amount that I added to the cake mix to keep it a consistent color.) Frost your cupcakes and set aside.
4. Begin working on your Hulk fists by removing the fondant from the package and kneading it until it begins to soften. Then create a round ball, flattening it just a bit. This will serve as knuckle part of the fist.
5. Your next piece is going to be the Hulk’s wrist area. It should be a cylinder shape.
6. Alright, remember rolling those snake shapes? We are going to do that again! Take small pieces of fondant and roll them in your hands until you have 5 matching pieces. These will be the fingers.
7. You are totally rocking this! At this point you should have all of the pieces as seen in the photo above.
8. It’s time to start assembly. Place the 4 fingers on the round ball shape piece that you made in step 4. Gently apply pressure to the backside of the fingers to get the pieces to mold together.
9. Then add the thumb to the side of the fist as shown.
10. You can add the details of the fist by using a craft stick or your finger. Add nail beds, lines of the skin, etc.
11. Add 2 toothpicks into the wrist piece you made in step 5. This will help keep the fist together and provide some extra stability when placed into the cupcakes.
12. Add the top part of the fist onto the other end of the toothpicks.
13. You did it! Your fist is complete! Simply push into the tops of your cupcakes.
Ta da! Hulk fist cupcakes!
Our friends over at Spaceships and Laser Beams has a super fun Hulk birthday party with lots of great ideas!