DIY Family Game Night Trophy
Our house is busy. Like super busy. And full. And loud.
It’s us….and at least 4 kids. More on weekends. And typically even more than that once you take into account the neighborhood kids who straggle in. Our house is pretty cool. There is always food being made for a post on one of our blogs that needs eaten. There are always people to play with. And there is always something to do.
But one thing that is a struggle with so many people is getting people to agree on things to do. Except for one thing: games. Our house LOVES games. Card games, video games, board games…it doesn’t matter. If it is a game, then we are in.
And since we MAY be slightly competitive (it’s all in fun though!) we all love to win. Game nights are a big deal. Each week it is one of the kids’ job to pick out dinner and pick out the game(s) that we will be playing. And now, we have introduced the family game night trophy. The trophy of honor that sits on the winner’s dresser until the next game night rolls around.
Y’all. This thing is a big deal. You would think that it was real gold on there. And definitely not made using a toilet paper roll. Haha! (Pssst! This is a great project if you have games that are missing pieces or hit up those thrift stores! If all else fails – I’ve listed some places for supplies. And feel free to use your own creativity to create a trophy totally your own! Top it with an action figure or a letter for your family’s last night! Whatever you have works!)
- 1 Base
- 3 Wood Cubes
- Toilet Paper Tube
- Plastic Game Piece Pawns
- Poker Chips
- Chess piece
- Scrabble Tiles
- Hot Glue Gun
- Hot Glue
- Liquid Gold Leaf
- Acrylic Paint – White
- Acrylic Paint – Black
- Paint Brush
The best part of this project is that you can make it however you want with whatever supplies you have. If you have games that are missing pieces or if you see games at the thrift store feel free to use pieces from those!
- Use white acrylic paint to paint the base and the wood dice cubes. Allow to dry.
- Use a small paint brush to paint black dots on the wood dice cubes.
- Paint the base with the gold liquid leaf.
- We also painted a plastic lid that we had gold. Doing this project again, I would use poker chips. I think that would be a fun addition!
- We decided to spell the word ‘champ’ with Scrabble tiles on the front. Some other options would be No. One, First, or if your last name is short you could do that. Hot glue the letters on the front.
- Hot glue the dried wooden dice on to the base.
- To get some height, we used a toilet paper tube. (Yay for recycling!)
- Hot glue the game pieces to the toilet paper tube. (Amazon is totally the place to go for these. Bonus: We have some extras if we need them.)
- Glue the game piece toilet paper tube to the top of the dice.
- Glue the lid (or if you have Poker chips, that’s what I would use doing this project again).
- Top off your trophy with a chess piece.
You are ready to crown your family game night champ!
Looking for some new family favorite games to add to your collection? One of my favorite places to go is Goliath Games. (You can also purchase them on Amazon!) They sent us a box of games (and not in exchange for a review or for a post, just because they are awesome like that. This post is no way sponsored – in fact they have no clue I’m even writing it! haha We just genuinely love them!) and we are constantly checking out their site for new ones! They have classics like Rummikub, but they have games we had never ever heard of that have since made it to our rotation of faves.
Check these out:
- Googly Eyes
- Your Worst Nightmare (We play this one A LOT!)
- Are You Normal (We played this one when our 16 year old brought her boyfriend home to meet us for the first time haha! Hopefully he told the truth on his answers!)
- Tick Tock Boom
- F In Exams
Don’t forget to pin our DIY Family Game Night Trophy!
This post contains affiliate links.