My family loves a lot of different things. We love ice cream, music, movie night, board games and pizza. But our hands down favorite thing to do is to travel. We try to get away as much as possible. Leading up to winter break, Josh had a countdown. And now that school has started up again last month the phrase that I have been hearing every week is “When is spring break?” (Please tell me it’s not just my house!)
We travel quite a bit each year, but it’s generally, ok, it’s always on a budget. While one day maybe we will fly first class, right now, I would rather save some money and be able to afford to give my family a few more opportunities to see the world. So today, I’m sharing some tips on how you can save money on spring break! Because a vacation shouldn’t be stressful or break the bank!
- Choose the right destination
The first tip on how to save money on spring break is to choose the right destination. If you are planning a spring break trip then you are probably first looking somewhere near the beach. I get it. Indiana is COLD. If I am going on vacation in March, I want it to be somewhere warm where I can get a tan. And if we are being completely honest, also to post pictures of the sand between my toes on Facebook to tease all of our friends and family back home in the cold. #SorryNotSorry
But if you are REALLY looking into saving on your spring break vacation, try looking into some more unconventional choices or even, gasp, somewhere cold!
Here are a few places you might want to check out that will be an amazing vacation, but not as pricey AND not as crowded as the traditional spring break hot spots:
- Washington DC
- New Orleans
- The Smokey Mountains
- Las Vegas
- Lincoln, New Hampshire (<— We loved it here!)
2. Choose the best way to get around
There are a lot of ways to get to your destination. Of course you could do the traditional fly or drive, but also look into the bus or train. We’ve done both several times and to be honest, it’s kind of nice not having to drive yourself. Most have WIFI connections and plugs available to recharge. Josh actually thought it was pretty cool and this was a great way to save money on spring break!
Once you arrive, do you really need to rent a car? Are you staying in a place where most things are within walking distance anyways? If so, no need for a car! If you do need to go a bit farther, ride sharing apps make it easy. And most have coupon codes for new members. (Psst! Many large cities will also have public transportation and sometimes even free transportation. When we went to Las Vegas there was a bus that went up and down the strip all day and it was very inexpensive!)
3. Choose the right hotel
This is the best way to save a bundle! Save money on spring break by choosing the right place to stay. Have you heard of Extended Stay America? It’s a great line of hotels that offer all of the comforts of home….away from home! Check out all the ways you can save, just by staying in one of their hotels:
- Each room comes with a kitchen complete with refrigerator, stove and microwave. Make some lunches to take with you or even a dinner before you catch that show!
- Free in room WIFI. (YES!)
- Laundry room facilities. I’m always shocked when I have to buy plane tickets at how much the luggage fees are. Pack your family’s clothes into one suitcase or downsize your suitcase to a carry on and take advantage of lower luggage fees. Plus, the ability to do laundry while on vacation is nice.
- Grab and Go breakfasts are perfect for starting your day. Even for just two of us, after a tip, we usually spend $25 for breakfast. Multiply that by a whole spring break week and that’s $175 on breakfast alone! Plus, Extended Stay America’s options are pretty yummy and they have a pretty sweet coffee station! :)
- Pet friendly rooms. Y’all. I can’t tell you how much I have spent on boarding our dogs for vacation. One, I hate it. I feel horrible. But two, it’s expensive. And they get you with the add on’s FOR SURE. Daycare, extra potty breaks, extra walks, a gourmet doggy treat….all times TWO for us. I love the idea of a pet friendly vacation. Seriously, this needs to happen.
- Select locations have even more freebies too! Pools, shuttles around to restaurants or stores and even free airport shuttles. Check to see if your particular location has these awesome perks!
- If you travel a lot, check out their rewards program!
AND if all that wasn’t enough: You can get 18% off 1-29 nights now - 2/21 with promo code MB7CB with this link! (18% off 1-29 nights offer good for one reservation booked on ExtendedStayAmerica.com by 2/21/17, with a check-out date on or before 6/30/17. Discount applied at hotel upon check-out. Reservations based on availability. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer or negotiated or special rate, including but not limited to Advanced Purchase. Valid only on original reservations. Discounts do not apply to extensions/modifications. Cannot be applied to reservations already booked. Only one promotion discount per thirty days can be used by the same guest at the same hotel location. Offer valid only at Extended Stay America hotels.)
4. Choose the right activities
Another way you can save money on spring break is by picking the right activities! Every place we have traveled to has some really awesome free things to do. Pinterest and travel review sites are your BFF’s when planning! Get outside in nature, relax at the pool or the beach and check out the free museums or attractions.
You can also sign up for daily deal sites for your particular city you are traveling to. Often times we do this and get discounted certificates for restaurants and some pretty fun activities. You can also check to see if your city has a discount attraction card. Many times you can pay a flat rate and get access to several museums or events.
And if you are a member of AARP, the military, a student or a teacher don’t be shy about asking if you can get a discount!
And because I love y’all SO much …. I want one of you to WIN a free 2 nights stay at Extended Stay America! Good luck!!
Do you have a spring break money saving tip? Share it with us! :) Don’t forget to pin our 4 ways to save money on spring break! And speaking of pinning, follow our travel Pinterest board for tons of ideas! :)
Offer good for one reservation booked online by 3/31/17, with a departure/check-out date on or before 6/30/17. The two free nights must be used within the same stay, and any unused free nights will be forfeited. The lowest-rated two nights within your stay will be deducted from your bill upon check-out. Reservations are based on availability and must be made online at ESA.com. Additional restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, discount or special rate, including Advanced Purchase. Valid only on original reservations and not on any reservation extensions. Offer is non-transferable, non-cancelable and not redeemable for cash or credit. Offer not valid on current or pending reservations. Offer valid only at Extended Stay America brand hotels. It’s a Fabulous Life is not responsible for the handling of prize distribution.
This post is sponsored by Coupons.com. All opinions are 100% my own.