It’s been a while since I’ve done a Project Resell update. I have taken a few months off. Summer has been really busy for me. I wish I would have gone to more estate sales and had time to sell, but you can’t win them all right? This past week has been my first week ‘back’. I was really excited; last weekend looked like there were some great auctions! We got up to the first auction and took one look. Everything was gorgeous! In fact, we thought it was a little too nice. We guessed that things would go really expensive so we decided to head over to another one.
We got there and bought a few things. And by few things I mean, just a couple. The auction had a lot of stuff, but not a lot that really interested us. So we were off to the third auction. The description said that there was 150 boxes that were packed by the estate and not seen by the auctioneer. Well, we quickly realized why they weren’t shown before! By this time, the auctions for the day were over. I was bummed that we wasted our day!
Sunday we headed to another auction where I was able to purchase some more items. It feels nice to hear my phone ca-ching again!
This week, I’ve been selling a lot of tintypes! I purchased these as a lot in our second auction. I have never purchased tintypes before nor do I honestly know much about them. I took a chance and bought them. I figured that there were so many that it would hopefully be easier to make my money back on them! I paid $30 for about 44 tintypes.
This photo was etched 1879!
This photo of a boy playing his banjo I had listed with a starting point of $3.00. (I listed all of my tintypes with starting points of 99¢ – $3.99 depending on the condition.) Within minutes I had an email asking if I would call the man because he had a ‘respectable’ offer for me. Call or not to call? Well, curiosity beat me and I called. I was fully prepared for him to offer $20 or maybe $30 and I was going to take my chance at the auction. After all, most of the time when people want to buy it without the auction it is because they think it will go higher than they are willing to pay. But he offered me $95! I said absolutely. Part of me is curious what it could have done, but I made a good profit that I am happy with.
The two brothers weren’t in the best shape, but I liked their pose and their outfits.
I thought this was a cute picture of the Father and Son. It only got one bid though.
This was another one that I thought would do better. Ma & Pa.
I actually had two copies of this photo. One was a little rough though so this is the only one that was listed.
These girls were all dressed up!
The past week I sold 13 tintypes. Only one that I had listed didn’t sell! Could I have gotten more for them? Maybe. Probably. But I am very happy with what I got for them. I am even happier that I paid for them and a week later have made my money back plus some! I would rather sell something for $3 and get rid of it right away than to hold onto it for 3-4 weeks and sell it for $10. Time (and space!) is money! :)
This past week I also sold 2 brooches as buy it nows and a Mickey figurine on a Facebook garage sale site.
Total spent at auctions last week: $230
Total amount sold last week: $230.89
Total Profit on just the tintypes (so far!): $161.82
Which means everything else that I have from the auctions will be profit! The tintypes will mostly all be sold in the next few days and I have quite a few things that need to be listed including some advertising tins, art, collectibles, lamps, glassware, etc. The next few days will be busy, but it’s pretty motivating when you know that it’s all profit! :)